Veterans’ (VA) Benefits

Columbus Technical College is approved for veteran training under U.S. Code 38. Eligible persons should make application through their local and regional Veterans Administration (VA) Office. Application forms are available at Columbus Technical College, and the College has personnel available to assist applicants in filing for educational benefits. For further information, students may contact the Veterans Affairs’ Office in Room 151A, Hartline Building, 706.649.1458

Students receiving veterans’ benefits are responsible for obtaining official transcripts from all postsecondary schools attended. Students should send transcripts, including applicable military training, to the Office of Admissions for evaluation for transfer of credit. The College will not process the paperwork for veterans’ benefits until students furnish the results of a completed evaluation to the VA Office.

VA Certification Requirements

Individuals wishing to enter a program of study at Columbus Technical College and receive training under U.S. Code 38 must adhere to the following requirements in order to ensure initial and continued VA certification:

  • All VA students must have a Certificate of Eligibility.
  • Veterans should submit a copy of DD-214 in order to be certified.
  • Notify the College’s VA Office regarding all schedule changes made after class registration each semester.
  • Submit a Change-of-Major Form and/or Dual-Major Form to the College VA Office to be submitted to Veterans Administration. These forms are required in addition to the Change-of-Major and Dual-Major forms required by the College.

VA will not penalize students for dropping a class through the drop/add period; however, after the drop/add period ends, VA will reduce students’ benefits pursuant to the withdrawal.

VA encourages students to complete one program of study before entering another.

VA Work-Study Program

This program is available to students receiving veterans’ education benefits and attending school three-quarter time or more. Individuals working under this program may work at the College’s VA Office, VA Regional Office, VA medical facilities, or approved state-employment offices. Work-study students receive the federal minimum wage.

Work study students should be in good academic standing before applying for a position.

VA Tutorial-Assistance Program

Tutorial assistance is available if students receive VA educational assistance at the half-time-or-more rate and have a deficiency in a subject, making a tutorial necessary.  

Vocational Rehabilitation

Individuals with disabilities who qualify may receive financial assistance while attending Columbus Technical College through Vocational Rehabilitation. Interested persons should contact the Director of Student Disability Services at 706.649.1442.